analytics

copper

I brought a penny to the market and found it could not buy a thing. I begged and bargained but my copper was denied by all and every man. I could not purchase the merry dolls who dance and wave about. I could not afford the happy pigs who snuffle at my feet. I received a strike upon my head for the request of a hat. I could not win the pretty coats for a cent upon my hand. To food I sought but once more denied was this, my sum worth.

As all I have is this little penny, immersed within my grip. To offer it is to give my all, yet none will take it in. Turned away, run about, sunken on the ground. I have no more to give, I cry, and people glance but walk on by. I gaze at this thing, my only coin, worthless just as one. Who will take it, this tiny thing? What can such a thing win me? Nothing. Nothing, I realize. It is all I have and it will get me nothing.

And so I give the token of my life to a passing boy with an outstretched penny. And I walk away.

2 comments:

Tori Wade said...

Very interesting...this brought to mind the story of the widow's mite, and how she gave all that she had. The Lord saw her heart, and counted her meager coin as exponentially greater than those who pridefully offered far more.

Skip said...

Interesting idea. The coin, useless on its own, finds use in the hands of another who can add to it. I like the simultaneous giving up in hopelessness and yet at the same time that sacrifice just may yet provide hope to another. Very cool. Also, I like the fact that the narrator is ambiguous. I imagine it a boy, perhaps because of the preconceived image (Oliver?) or maybe the things he/she tries to buy or even another boy like the one who then receives the coin, but then I realize it could be anyone and that expands and enriches it for me because it could be anyone trying to struggle along and losing hope.

In terms of structure, I thought it sounded very poetic but I think the terseness of some of the sentences broke that up, but maybe that is just my preferences.

Favorite line: "To offer it is to give my all, yet none will take it in."