analytics

seeker

I seek the rain.

In the company of trees I thought I would find the rainful skies.  So I walked among the branch and root; for years I knew the company of the forest.  But I never met the rain.  To flowing creek I asked the questions: where was your birth?  how do you fall?  And it tumbled and laughed in joy, a language I could not speak.  All of waters reward upon me but not the falling wash.  Where are you, oh rain?

I seek the rain.

I came to the ocean; the wide hand of water grasping earth.  Even tempest would quell my need.  So I took boat and sailed the dire waves, striving towards the ocean's cause.  Through months and sun I battled and burned.  I beseeched the birds in my travel, where is the rain?  Oh little one, they called, how can you not find the rain.  It is in our names and our tongue.  The rain is our life.  How do you not know the rain, little brother?  And they soared and they joyed to life.  And I was lost.

I seek the rain.

Torn and beaten, I sought the mountain high.  Cliffs and crags, you have known the rain.  It has wrecked upon your face.  Surely you may guide me.  So I climbed and I thirst.  In gasps I come to the mountain's crown.  Oh high king, who crafted your noble countenance, was it not the rain?  Yes, weary traveler, words came in deep rumble, the rain has given me my throne and my brow.  Lordship and honor the rain bestowed on me.  He calls for you too.  Where?  I scream.  Lord mountain smiles to me and I find silence.

I seek the rain.

To snow-wrought lands I tread.  Corrupted rain, can you satisfy?  A land of living death, I find.  The whispers of rain; have I found my home?  It beckons, with white soft hands, seeking to embrace me.  You know the rain?  Oh yes, the rain is our brother.  Come! Come we shall take you to his feet.  He shall be happy to see you.  Come, little one.  How much further?  Come.  My feet falter.  Come, little one.  What is his name?  Whose?  The rain?  He is brother.  My feet fail.  Then come rest upon our shoulder.  We shall seek the rain tomorrow after you have rested.  Your hands are so cold.  You shall warm them.  Sleep little one, you are weary.  You clutch me so, why?  Your warmth is comforting.  We need just a little of your warmth.  Please, please give us your warmth.  Where is the rain!  You have deceived me!  You serve not the falling sky!  Oh little fool, we are as rain to you: his white shadow.  You have sought him, but you can only find us.  Serve us.  No!  Your feet were failing a minute ago, where do you find your strength little one?  Come, surrender your heat.  It is wasted in endless hopeless search.  Give it up and you shall no longer know want.  Come, little one!  Lie down.  Why do you flee our embrace, why do you flee our love.  You shall not find your rain.  Your rain has abandoned you.  Oh little one, you know not the pain you bring yourself.  You shall rue your leaving us.  We weep.  We mourn.  We are love.

I despise the rain.

I reject my search, I reject my thirst.  Oh desert, you shall be my home.  We the abandoned and forsaked.  I shall lie in your dust.  We are true brothers.  Curse the rain with me, brothers.  Oh no, lost one.  We know the rain far more than any from your travels.  We love him more deeply than the forest. We relish his hand more abundantly than the birds.  We bear his honor more highly than the mountain.  And we know hunger more ravenous than ice.  For we, dear brother, know rain's absence.  And still we have not succumb.  In dust we build.  In dryness we strain.  Dry plant we raise, in honor and praise.  Dunes we pilfer and move, to form our preparation.  Preparation for when he comes.  And when he comes?  Oh when he comes: we rejoice.  In song you have never heard.  In dance you have never imagined.  We take his water to our lips and we drink.  And we know life.  You have come seeking death.  But we do not praise death.  We have not succumb to the hopelessness of self.  We wait.  And when life comes?  Oh yes, we wait.

I await the rain.

No comments: